Manchester City footballer Benjamin Mendy has been charged with rape, Cheshire Constabulary has confirmed.
Benjamin Mendy: Manchester City Footballer Charged with Four Count of Rape:
The 27-year-old defender has been charged with four counts of rape. Mendy was also charged with one count of se*u*l assault, Cheshire Police said.
The charges relate to three complainants over the age of 16 and are alleged to have taken place between October 2020 and August this year.
Mendy has been remanded in police custody and is set to appear at Chester magistrates’ court on Friday 27 August.
Manchester City has suspended left-back Benjamin Mendy after the Frenchman was charged by Cheshire Police on Thursday.
France defender remanded in custody by Cheshire police:
Mr Mendy, of Prestbury, has been remanded in custody and will appear at Chester Magistrates’ Court on Friday.
The left-back has played for last season’s Premier League champions since 2017 when he joined Monaco for a reported £52m.
Why has Mendy been suspended?
A police spokesman said:
“The Crown Prosecution Service would like to remind everyone that Cheshire Constabulary is authorized to charge a man in connection with allegations of se*u*l assault. criminal proceedings against Mendy, aged 27, are live and that he has a right to a fair trial.”
It is extremely important that there should be no reporting, commentary or sharing of information online which could in any way prejudice ongoing proceedings.
Mancity Club Statement:
The club has announced the suspension of Benjamin Mendy after Cheshire Police charged the 27-year-old in connection with “serious se*u*l offences” between October 2020 and August 2021.
Manchester City said the defender, who also plays for the French national team, had been suspended pending an investigation.
“The matter is subject to a legal process and the club is, therefore, unable to make further comment until that process is complete,” the club added.
Tags: Manchester City FC, Benjamin Mendy, Rape.